Sunday, August 2, 2009

Roxy

Roxy is a sweet little puppy that we just dog sat for three days.

OK, for those of you that know my husband, after reading that first sentence, you are probably either wide-eyed, or choking on your drink, or laughing very hard.  Jason HATES dogs.  He has never even allowed company bring their dog anywhere but to our porch.  

He caved in, I think because of the guilt he feels about how badly our kids want a dog.  He knows he'll never cave into that notion.  So I guess he figured letting them keep the dog for a few days would be coming as close to giving in as he would ever come.  

Poor Roxy, my kids wanted her attention every single second.  It was a bit overwhelming for the dog.  I think she just starting tuning out her name because every few seconds it was, "Roxy, come" or "Roxy up" or "Roxy sleep in my bed".  The dog just wanted to curl up and relax.   It was really sweet to watch the enthusiasm my kids had for the dog.  

The funniest thing was how much the dog loved Jason.  Apparently, dogs cannot sense loathe.  Roxy just wanted to be wherever Jason was.  If he went in the office and closed the door, the dog would just whine until Jason came back out.  Jason will never admit that he liked the dog but I know he did.  One time I was leaving the house and was going to put Roxy in the laundry room so Jason didn't have to worry about her while I was gone.  He nonchalantly said, "She can stay with me."  And get this--Roxy slept on our bed at Jason's feet.  He said she was not allowed on our bed at any rate.  But she would wait until we fell asleep and crawl up there between us.  I couldn't believe it when he didn't kick her out of bed because I know he felt her jump up there.  Another sign he liked her.  

I started to think that maybe, just maybe, he was warming up to the idea of having a dog.  He put a firm end to that line of thinking.  I guess dog sitting is as close as my kids will ever come to having a dog.  He did say Roxy was welcome back any time she wanted to come over.  Baby steps.   



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I AM FLOORED!!!!!