Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Merry Christmas, 2010!

Hello dear friends and family!


For those of you still laughing at my ghetto Christmas postcard....Hey! It seemed like a good idea at the time! It fit the budget and half the postage. How was I to know I was going to stamp and label over every square centimeter of that card? I guess I just have too much to say!

So here's the year in review. I haven't been blogging this year like I have in the past, so for many of you this is the first update on the Tomlinson family in quite some time.

Jason continues to work at PanAmerican Laboratories as the District Manger of Florida. In a time where so many around me are having to move to find or keep their job, I am a little more thankful for his job and a little slower to complain about all his travel.

I started a little business this year in February, Sew Thoughtful. I make and embroider baby gift items such as taggie blankets and bibs. I thoroughly enjoy sewing and even more so, providing the perfect gift for someone to give. I have learned a lot this year about the challenge of balancing a family and anything. This has never been a strong point of mine, so I'm not sure why it surprised me to find it so difficult. Although I had to slow it down a bit, I am still doing it fairly consistently. I'm trying hard to serve my family before I sew. You know, having clean laundry in the house and food in the refrigerator is always a plus!

Amelia, 6, loves first grade just as she seems to love every new life experience. She approaches everything with such joy and excitement. She is quite interested in loosing teeth. Once she discovered the glory of the tooth fairy, she has been pulling out her teeth long before they are ready to come out. One day last week, she came home with one out that was barely loose at all that morning. One night at the dinner table, she was insistent that she got to say the blessing. I guess she had an agenda because she asked God if this time the tooth fairy would give her five dollars!

Lane, 4, is in VPK this year. I have seen such a major change in him from last year as it relates to school. Last year he only went because he had to and never attached to anyone. This year he has figured out it is more fun at school. He has made several friends and seems to be well liked by the other kids. He has really come out of his shell. What a difference a year can make! A few months ago, Lane started changing his name for weeks at a time. Around Halloween, he started asking us to call him Yoshi, his soon to be costume. Next thing I know, he is coming home from school with Yoshi written on his papers. That stuck for several weeks and then a few others. Currently he is calling himself, Theodore (from Alvin and the Chipmunks). Tonight I picked him up from Awana and the teacher said, "Owen, Theodore, your mom's here." What a character!

Owen, 3, works hard to keep up with his brother and sister. He goes to school two mornings a week. He likes it just fine but really is indifferent about whether he goes to school or stays home with mom. His personality is closest to Amelia, joyful and full speed, ready to try anything. It is Lane, however, that he wants to imitate. He is right behind his big brother when it comes to interests or milestones.

We took the kids on a cruise this fall. We never thought we'd take our kids with us, but having them with us turned out to be the best of both worlds. We had great family time most of the day. Then they went to Camp Carnival and Jason and I were able to spend some time together alone. It was so nice to have a nice meal every night without any spilt drinks, dropped forks, or 10 trips up and down from the table.

Jason and I are so overwhelmed by our blessed life. It's not that it's perfect--it has the normal but very real challenges of raising children and upkeep on our marriage. But still, we are humbled by God's faithfulness to our family. I came across this verse today, which perfectly relays my thankfulness:

"Lord, you are my God;
I will exalt you and praise your name,
for in perfect faithfulness
you have done wonderful things,
things planned long ago."
Isaiah 25:1

On that note, I will leave you with one of my favorite songs. The lyrics are so simple but they inspire me. Below are the lyrics and you can listen to it here. I wouldn't say exactly that we are loving Him with our life.....but we are sure trying!

We wish you a wonderful Christmas. May the joy and purpose that comes from knowing Jesus, be yours this holiday season.

Love,
The Tomlinsons

"Getting Into You" by Relient K

When I made up my mind
And my heart along with that
To live not for myself
But yet for God somebody said
Do you know what you are getting yourself into

When I finally ironed out
All of my priorities
And asked God to remove the doubt
That makes me so unsure of these
Things I ask myself, I ask myself
Do you know what you are getting yourself into

I'm getting into you
Because you got to me, in a way words can't describe
I'm getting into you
Because I've got to be
You're essential to survive
I'm going to love you with my life

When he looked at me and said
I kind of view you as a son
And for a second our eyes met
And I met that with a question
Do you know what you are getting yourself int

I've been a liar and I'll never amount to
The kind of person you deserve to worship you
You say you will not dwell on what I did but rather what I do you say
I love you and that's what you are getting yourself into

He said, I love you and that's what you are getting yourself into.










0 comments: