Friday, February 26, 2010

New Endeavor

I am so excited I can barely type!


As many of you know, I have been making baby gifts for a while now. Nothing too impressive, mostly just little taggies, burp clothes, bibs, etc. What makes them adorable actually, has nothing to do with me. I take my creations to get monogrammed. Put the baby's name on it and it is automatically precious! Many people have told me I should try to sell them. The problem is, I pay just as much for the monogram as I have in to the blanket so I could never charge a reasonable amount to make it worth my while. Buying an embroidery machine for that purpose alone never made any business sense.

Then I started seeing a need for local embroidery. Long story short, yesterday I unboxed my dream machine. It is so amazing. I have always dreamed of owning one of these machines but never thought it would actually happen.

I have lots of ideas for strumming up business. Of course you know Jason had to have a serious business plan before he would go for this.

Problem is, I need a name for my little home business. I need to get business cards made, a facebook page started, etc. , etc.. Here is where you come in. I need ideas. None of my own ideas have been winners with my friends. So I would love to know what your ideas are.

I thought of Monogram Mommy. That got a big thumbs down from my sister.
I stole this idea from my girlfriend Julie: A Good Name Embroidery and Gifts-"A good name is better than riches"-Proverbs 22:1. Jason likes For Names Sake. What do you like?

3 comments:

Natalie said...

You know I'm coming over to swoon over your new toy! I'm so excited for you. But you do have to have a name.....
"U Name It"
"In Stitches"
"Sew Much More" --you could come up with some slogan like, "Making gifts Sew Much More Special, Sew Much More Unique, Sew Much More Personal....???"
I'm obviously typing stream of conscious. :) It's been a crazy week, with an even crazier one ahead! Good luck with your new adventure.

Kelli Bennett said...

What did Jason say about "Sew Thoughtful"?????? I am so excited for you!

alterego said...

Fun! What about: BTJ Monograms or BTJ Monogramming (or BTK, whatever your monogram is and if you plan to sell your sewn items, just add "Designs", like BTJ Monograms and Designs). You could have very fun business cards, etc. with a distinctive design and colors without being too cutesy, and then perhaps attract a wide range of monogramming jobs (throw pillows, bedding, etc., not just kid stuff). Then if you ever decide to add to your list of creative endeavors, you won't have to change the name. I saw a monogrammed shower curtain online the other day for $1,400! BTW, the ribbon blanket you made Sam is his favorite thing to cuddle. He pulls it up to his chin every time he's tucked in bed. :) Thanks again! -Rachel